Many people spend a lot of time at work. If work isn’t done safely, it can put a lot of wear and tear on your body. Back injuries are the most common type of workplace injury.
There are things you can do – both at work and at home – to lower your chances of getting hurt or sick.
To prevent injuries and stay healthy at work:
- Lift things safely.
- Arrange your equipment to fit your body.
- Take short breaks and stretch your muscles.
- Eat a healthy diet and stay active.
- Watch your weight.
- Get enough sleep.
- Manage stress.
- Look for health resources at work.
Why do I need to take steps to prevent injuries at work?
All types of jobs – even desk jobs – can lead to injuries. For example:
- You can injure your back, shoulders, or neck if you lift or carry heavy objects.
- You can get hurt when you do the same activity over and over again, like typing or working on an assembly line.
An injury caused by doing the same activity over and over is called a repetitive motion injury. More and more workers are getting repetitive motion injuries.
Taking steps to stay healthy and safe at work can help you get more done at work and feel better when you aren’t at work.