Staying safe and healthy at work is very important. If you don't work in a safe way, you can get hurt or sick. Back injuries are the most common type of workplace injury.
There are things you can do – both at work and at home – to lower your chances of getting hurt or sick.
Take these steps to prevent injuries and stay healthy at work:
- Lift things safely.
- Arrange your equipment to fit your body.
- Take short breaks and stretch your muscles.
- Wear protective equipment.
- Ask about health resources at work.
It's also important to:
- Get enough sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet and stay active.
- Watch your weight.
- Take steps to manage stress.
Why do I need to take steps to prevent injuries at work?
All types of jobs – even desk jobs – can lead to injuries. For example:
- You can injure your back, shoulders, or neck if you lift or carry heavy objects.
- You can get hurt when you do the same activity over and over again, like typing or working on an assembly line. This is called a repetitive motion injury.
- You can be injured or lose your hearing if you don't wear the right protective equipment for the work you do.
Taking steps to stay healthy and safe at work can help you get more done at work and feel better overall.