Talking to a family member or friend about losing weight can be hard. Use these tips to get the conversation started.
Begin by saying, “I care about you.”
“You are important to me, and I want you to be around for a long time.”
“I want you to have more energy and not worry about your health. That’s why I want to help you reach a healthy weight.”
Share what has worked for others.
Here are some ideas for losing weight in a healthy way:
- Try losing weight slowly, about 1 to 2 pounds each week.
- Eat smaller portions.
- Start a food diary to keep track of what and how much you eat.
- Eat a healthy breakfast every day.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks like soda or juice.
- Be active your way. Find activities you like and do them often.
- Do something active every day – take the stairs, go for a walk at lunch, or enjoy a family bike ride.
- Join a walking club or support group to keep you motivated.
If you have friends, family members, or co-workers who have lost weight by eating healthy and getting active, share what worked for them.
Do more than talk.
“How can I help you lose weight?”
“What can we do together to get healthy?”
Here are some ideas:
- Go food shopping together. Compare food labels to make healthy choices.
- If you go out to eat, split a meal or save half to take home.
- Go for a walk every evening or take an exercise class together.
- Celebrate your loved one’s weight loss, but don’t use food as a reward.