February Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month
The American Heart Association
Sample Media and/or Newsletter or Listserv Announcement
Cut and paste this text into your newsletter, listserv, or press release. Add local details and quotes from your organization.
February is Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month. [Your organization] wants you to know that there’s a lot you can do as a parent to prevent teen dating violence and abuse.
One in 10 teens reported being physically abused by a boyfriend or girlfriend in the last year. One of the most important things you can do is keep the lines of communication open with your kids.
Take steps to make a difference:
- Be a role model – treat your kids and others with respect.
- Start talking to your kids about healthy relationships early – before they start dating.
- Get involved with efforts to prevent dating violence at your teen’s school.
- Call the National Dating Abuse Helpline at 1-866-331-9474 or text “loveis” to 77054, if you are worried about your teen.
You can help keep your loved ones safe and healthy.
- [Add details about your local activities.]
- [Include quote from your organization.]
For more information, visit [insert your organization information].