SeptemberNational Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
American College of Sports Medicine
Sample Media and/or Newsletter or Listserv Announcement
Cut and paste this text into your newsletter, listserv, or press release. Add local details and quotes from your organization.
One in 3 children in the U.S. is overweight or obese. Childhood obesity puts kids at risk for health problems that were once seen only in adults, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
The good news is that childhood obesity can be prevented! In honor of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, [your organization] encourages your family to:
- Get active outside — walk around the neighborhood, go on a bike ride, or play basketball at the park.
- Limit screen time — keep inactive (sitting down) screen time to 2 hours or less a day.
- Make healthy meals — buy and serve more vegetables, fruits, and whole grain foods.
Taking small steps as a family can help your child stay at a healthy weight.
- [Add details about your local activities.]
- [Include quote from your organization.]
For more information, visit
[insert your organization information]