SeptemberNational Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
American College of Sports Medicine
Sample Announcement for Newsletter, Listserv, or Media Release
Cut and paste this text into your newsletter, listserv, or media release. Add local details and quotes from your organization.
One in 3 children in the United States is overweight or obese. Childhood obesity puts kids at risk for health problems that were once seen only in adults, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
The good news is that childhood obesity can be prevented. In honor of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, [your organization] encourages your family to make healthy changes together.
- Get active outside: Walk around the neighborhood, go on a bike ride, or play basketball at the park.
- Limit screen time: Keep screen time (time spent on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games) to 2 hours or less a day.
- Make healthy meals: Buy and serve more vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain foods.
Taking small steps as a family can help your child stay at a healthy weight.
- [Add details about your local activities.]
- [Include quote from your organization.]
For more information, visit [insert your organization information].