Be sure to eat right
(HealthDay News) -- Regular dental checkups and proper daily hygiene are important during pregnancy.
The American Dental Association (ADA) offers these suggestions for pregnant women:
- Use an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth at least twice daily. Floss teeth at least once daily, as well.
- Eat healthy, nutritious foods and keep snacking on sugary or fatty foods to a minimum.
- Get regular dental checkups.
- Talk to your dentist about using an antimicrobial mouth rinse.
- Discuss any problems with your dentist, such as gums that bleed, swell or become red.
- If you have morning sickness, rinse your mouth with a mixture of one teaspoon of baking soda and water. Avoid brushing just after vomiting to prevent contact of more stomach acids with the teeth.
Copyright © 2013
HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from
various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov
does not endorse opinions, products, or services that
may appear in news stories. For more information on
health topics in the news, visit
Health News on healthfinder.gov.