Bathe in oatmeal or baking soda
(HealthDay News) -- Poison ivy rash usually isn't dangerous, but it sure is uncomfortable.
The American Academy of Dermatology offers these suggestions to help ease the itch:
- Take a short, lukewarm oatmeal bath in a solution bought at the drug store.
- Take a lukewarm bath and add 1 cup of baking soda to the bath water.
- Take a short, cool shower.
- Apply calamine lotion to the rash.
- Apply a cool compress (wash cloth dampened with cold water) to the itchy skin.
- Don't use a topical antihistamine, which could worsen the rash. But do take an oral antihistamine.
Copyright © 2013
HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from
various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov
does not endorse opinions, products, or services that
may appear in news stories. For more information on
health topics in the news, visit
Health News on healthfinder.gov.