Take it easy
(HealthDay News) -- Donating blood is a generous act that helps save lives. But don't forget to take care of yourself afterward.
The American Red Cross says after donating blood, you should:
- Avoid alcohol and drink extra fluids for at least 24 hours.
- Remove the bandage from your arm after a couple of hours, then clean the area with soap and water.
- Avoid strenuous activity, including heavy lifting, for the rest of the day.
- Apply pressure and hold your arm straight for 10 minutes if the site begins bleeding again.
- Take a rest if you feel dizzy or lightheaded.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
HealthDayNews articles are derived from various sources and do not reflect federal policy. healthfinder.gov does not endorse opinions, products, or services that may appear in news stories. For more information on health topics in the news, visit Health News on healthfinder.gov.
Note: Documents in PDF format require the Adobe Acrobat Reader®. If you experience problems with PDF documents, please download the latest version of the Reader®.